By Suzannah Schneider, Communications Manager and Certification Coordinator
Image via Songbird Farm
Certified Naturally Grown farmers and beekeepers work tirelessly to grow the very stuff that keeps us alive! In the spirit of Thanksgiving, we're sharing a few of the many of tough jobs growers do to keep our fridges full and our hearts fed.
Read on to see if your least favorite farm chore made the cut!
Local farmers and beekeepers, thank you for...
1. Routinely working 14-hour+ market days.
2. Turning thousands of pounds of compost by hand.
3. Chasing wily pigs who try to make a break for it.
4. Regularly mucking months of heavy manure out of small spaces.
5. Covering plants with row cover during a wind advisory, without help.
6. Crouching in the same awkward position for hours to harvest green beans, hot peppers, sweet peppers, baby greens, herbs, ground cherries...
7. Sisyphean weeding. All season long. And next season, too.
8. Becoming itchy to the point of mania after a July okra harvest.
9. Expertly managing a beehive robbery.
10. Tackling clogged aquaponic drains and leaking tanks - often at the same time.
11. Constantly unknotting tomato twine that somehow gets tangled inside the box every few feet.
12. Being a farmer, florist, event planner, accountant, teacher, social media manager, HR manager, culinary instructor, customer service specialist, parent, and partner...all in one day!
13. Harvesting in the rain, snow, relentless heat, frigid cold, before the sun comes up, after the sun has gone down, and while much of the world is seated comfortably indoors.
14. Working 24/7, 365 days a year with crops and animals who have absolutely no idea what a holiday is.
If you like what you read, we invite you to spread the word!
Suggested Facebook post:
This Thanksgiving, join me in thanking farmers who do the tough job of putting Certified Naturally Grown food on the table! What do you think is the most thankless job on this list? #CNGgrit https://www.cngfarming.org/giving_thanks
This Thanksgiving, join me in thanking farmers who do the tough job of putting #CertifiedNaturallyGrown food on the table! What do you think is the most thankless job on this list? #CNGgrit https://www.cngfarming.org/giving_thanks