The Grassroots Fund was established to defray the cost of CNG certification for beginning farmers, those hit by unusual hardship such as extreme weather or physical injuries, and others who have difficulty paying at least $150. CNG recommends $200 or more per year.
We have established payment plans in the online store to enable members to pay dues in multiple smaller payments over time. If it is nevertheless impossible to cover these dues, farmers may apply for a waiver to pay less than $150 if that's their only option.
Where does the money come from?
- 100 House Parties for CNG campaign - sign up to host!
- Business Allies - Join or refer!
- Direct contributions to the Grassroots Fund - chip in!
Thanks very much for your support.
Apply for a Waiver
To be eligible for a scholarship, farmers must already have CNG certification, or complete an online application for CNG certification. Please think carefully about whether you might cover your dues using one of our payment plans before applying for a waiver. Grassroots Funds are limited.
To apply for a waiver, follow these three steps.
1. Submit a short statement that includes the following information:
- how long you've been farming,
- a brief description of your farm, history, and/or anything special about you and your farm,
- why it's important to you that your farm is a part of CNG,
- the dollar amount you're able to contribute
2. Print and sign a Member Declaration.
3. Send your Application Statement and Declaration to Certified Naturally Grown.
Mail: 540 President St. Third Floor, Brooklyn, NY 11215
Grassroots Fund Criteria
Priority is given to farmers who:
- are in their first three years of operation, or
- are facing unusual hardship like extreme weather, physical injury, recent job loss
- have a track record of meeting CNG requirements in a timely manner (for returning members)
- will benefit from certification
- are recommended by other CNG farmers
- are willing to promote CNG in their local community